Experience an unforgettable journey from one side of the island to the other, and enjoy cultural exchanges with internationally acclaimed artists as well as other locals from all walks of life. Explore the dance and cultural traditions of the eastern region in Santiago with Yanek Revilla and Sabor DKY and learn about Son and Changüi in Guantanamo with Babul. Then take in the music, dance and cultural richness of Havana at the National School of Music and with Raíces Profundas, Ban Rarrá & Tierra Kaliente. This program offers unique daily excursions, classes, and opportunities to connect directly with the people of Cuba. Join us for one week or two!
Week One: Santiago June 22 – 29
People-to-People Investigation in Dance
- Take in the sights and sounds of the eastern region of the island. Learn about Popular dance styles with our friend and world-renowned Salsa dancer, Yanek Revilla, and members of his group Sabor DKY.
- Travel to Guantanamo to experience rare music and dance styles. We’ll attend the Changüi Festival, meet with dancers from Babul and visit the famous Tumba Francesa House.
Week Two: Havana June 30 – July 7
People-to People Exploration in Music Or Dance
- Music program offers a historic perspective on Cuban music genres with educational sessions at the National School of Music (la ENA).
- Educational dance program will focus on history and technique for Popular or Afro-Cuban dance with Karelia Despaigne, Ildolidia Ramos, and Isaias Rojas.
- Tour Old Havana, meet artists in their studios and learn about Havana’s rich music and dance culture spending time with your teachers from La ENA and members of Ban Rarrá, Tierra Kaliente, and Raices Profundas.
Prices and Discounts
Deadline to register and final payment due: April 11, 2018
June 22 – 29
Single Supplement $100
Havana & Santiago
June 22 – July 7
Single Supplement $400
June 30 – July 7
Single Supplement $300
Past Participant Discount: $50 Register by Feb. 1 Discount: $100
- Authorization for legal travel to Cuba, provided by PlazaCUBA.
- Double or single accommodations in a private house in Santiago with breakfast daily. Single or double standard hotel accommodations with breakfast daily in Havana.
- All in-country ground transportation for group activities listed on the itinerary.
- Airport transfer to the hotel in in Santiago or Havana.
- English-speaking guide for programmed activities. Translator for all classes and group presentations.
- Two special group meals
- Expert staff of Cuban coordinators and a PlazaCUBA representative on-site.
- PlazaCUBA’s unique people-to-people programming, including city tours, classes, private performances, lectures with renowned experts, and excursions focused on interaction with Cuban artists, musicians, and dancers.
Not Included: Airfare, Cuban entry visa, hotel to airport transfer after the program, meals not listed