Dance and Percussion in Cuba
Havana and Matanzas
March 3 – 12, 2019
DEADLINE EXTENDED to February 12, 2019!
During the Fiesta Del Tambor Music Festival! This unique program features people-to-people activities that explore communities, and their dances and rhythms, including Salsa, Son, Rueda, and Afro-Cuban folkloric styles.
Join Tika Morgan and PlazaCUBA for this Percussion and Dance trip to Cuba, a legal educational tour to one of the most culturally rich destinations in the world, and experience total immersion into the music, dance, and traditions of Cuba. The trip includes classes, presentations, and cultural exchanges with artists from internationally acclaimed groups, Raíces Profundas, Ban Rarrá and Tierra Kaliente in Havana, and the Muñequitos in Matanzas. We’ll also attend the Fiesta del Tambor (annual event organized by our friend Giraldo Piloto, director of Klimax) and meet Cuba’s hottest percussionists and take in performances by groups from all over the island.
You will interact with Cuba’s top dance professionals and learn about how dance is an integral part of Cuban society. Learn about Salsa, Son, Rueda de Casino, Rumba and Afro- Cuban Folklore. We will attend ceremonies and learn directly from the people about the culture and how dance fits into it.
Learn about the historical and cultural significance of Afro-Cuban drumming and and examine rhythms for Congas, Bongó and/or Batá. You will learn about Popular and Afro-Cuban fokloric drumming, attend ceremonies, and have a lot of opportunities to engage with the people.
PlazaCUBA is the leading expert in Cuban cultural travel, with more than 20 years of experience and intimate connections with the most influential artists and performers in Cuba today. Our team is comprised of seasoned professionals who coordinate events and assist you on your journey. We’re dedicated to connecting you with Cuban artists and giving you an insider’s perspective on this magical country through the eyes of the people.
Havana & Matanzas
March 3 – 12
Single Supplement $350
March 3 – 10
Single Supplement $250
Repeat Customer: $50 off every time you travel with PlazaCUBA
Deadline to register and final payment due: February 12, 2019
- PlazaCUBA’s unique people-to-people programming, including classes, private performances, lectures with renowned experts, and excursions focused on interaction with Cuban artists, musicians and dancers.
- March 4-13 (Full tour) 9 nights at the Hotel Kohly or similar hotel with breakfast daily, 2 special lunches, classes, presentations and activities included on the itinerary, plus a day trip to Matanzas for a class and performance with the Muñequitos.
- March 4-11 (One week) 7 nights at the Hotel Kohly or similar hotel with breakfast daily, 2 special lunches, classes, presentations and activities, included on the itinerary.
- Airport pickup upon arrival to Cuba, and ground transportation for group activities listed on the itinerary.
- English-speaking guide for programmed activities / Translator for all classes and group presentations.
- Expert staff of Cuban coordinators and PlazaCUBA representatives for on-site assistance.
- Access to competitions and events of the Fiesta del Tambor. Prior line-ups have included: Klimax, Rumbatá, El Niño, Raíces Profundas, Pupy, Timbalaye, Habana de Primera, Ban Rarrá, Osain del Monte, and more!
Not Included: Airfare, Cuban entry visa, hotel to airport transfer after the program, meals not listed