Dance and Percussion in Cuba
March 7 – 14, 2020
During the Fiesta Del Tambor Music Festival! This unique program features people-to-people activities that explore communities, and their dances and rhythms, including Salsa, Son, Rueda, and Afro-Cuban folkloric styles.
Secure your space with a $100 refundable deposit.*
Tika Morgan is a dance instructor/choreographer who has been based in the San Francisco Bay area for 20 years tikamorgandance.com. With her passion for Cuban dance, Music and Culture she has encouraged her students to experience our program for five years on almost every trip! Many of her students return again and again with her, creating a great sense of community. Tika will be joining us for our 20th anniversary this March 2020 and it is sure to be memorable! Sign up below.
Join Tika Morgan and PlazaCUBA for this Percussion and Dance trip to Cuba, a legal educational tour to one of the most culturally rich destinations in the world, and experience total immersion into the music, dance, and traditions of Cuba. The trip includes classes, presentations, and cultural exchanges with artists from internationally acclaimed groups, Raíces Profundas, Ban Rarrá and Tierra Kaliente in Havana, and the Muñequitos in Matanzas. We’ll also attend the Fiesta del Tambor (annual event organized by our friend Giraldo Piloto, director of Klimax) and meet Cuba’s hottest percussionists and take in performances by groups from all over the island.
You will interact with Cuba’s top dance professionals and learn about how dance is an integral part of Cuban society. Learn about Salsa, Son, Rueda de Casino, Rumba and Afro- Cuban Folklore. We will attend ceremonies and learn directly from the people about the culture and how dance fits into it.
Learn about the historical and cultural significance of Afro-Cuban drumming and and examine rhythms for Congas, Bongó and/or Batá. You will learn about Popular and Afro-Cuban fokloric drumming, attend ceremonies, and have a lot of opportunities to engage with the people.
Attend Havana’s National School of Music (La ENA) for instruction on your instrument. Engage in educational sessions on the history of Cuban music, rhythm workshops, and ensemble playing with top instructors and students from the school.
PlazaCUBA is the leading expert in Cuban cultural travel, with more than 20 years of experience and intimate connections with the most influential artists and performers in Cuba today. Our team is comprised of seasoned professionals who coordinate events and assist you on your journey. We’re dedicated to connecting you with Cuban artists and giving you an insider’s perspective on this magical country through the eyes of the people.
Percussion and Dance Trip to Cuba Prices and Discounts
Deadline to register and final payment due: January 9, 2020
Repeat Customer: $50 off every time you travel with PlazaCUBA
The deposit to secure your space is normally $500, but due to legal changes, we are only requiring an initial deposit of $100 for you to be officially registered in the March Music and Dance Tour 2020. The $100 is totally refundable up until our October 15 deadline. At that time, you can get a refund or pay the remaining $400 to complete your registration deposit.
Music, Percussion and Dance Trip to Cuba includes:
- Authorization to travel legally to Cuba in the educational people-to-people category.
- 7 nights single or double occupancy accomodations at the luxurious Copa Cabana hotel (or similar hotel).
- Airport pickup upon arrival to Cuba (on the program start date only).
- Activities on the itinerary, including classes, private performances, lectures with renowned experts, and excursions focused on music, dance and interaction with the Cuban people.
- Access to information about what is happening in Havana minute by minute through our professional connections and onsite Cuban staff. We’ll potentially see and meet members of Ban Rarrá, Raíces Profundas, and Tierra Kaliente, Pupy Pedroso, Habana de Primera, Rumbatá, El Niño, Timbalaye, Osain del Monte, and more!
- One special group meal with all the Cubans working in the program.
- English-speaking guide for programmed activities. Translator for all classes and group presentations.
- Expert staff of Cuban coordinators and PlazaCUBA representatives for on-site assistance.
Not Included: Airfare, Cuban entry visa, hotel to airport transfer after the program, meals not listed
See all of Our Cuba Tours